Frequently Asked Questions
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

How do I reserve a baby?
A 75% deposit will reserve a specific (hatched) baby just for you.  This is a 75% deposit of the total purchase price of the parrot and is NON-REFUNDABLE and will be invoiced separately as such.  After the 75% is paid, the remaining 25%, plus any shipping charges, are due once your baby has fledged and is fully weaned. Weaning can take weeks or months, depending upon the age of the parrot and it's individuality. We will give you an estimate of when you can expect to bring your baby home as your baby approaches weaning. Our invoices are sent to you via email for you to pay online.


*Non-refundable Deposits*
The 75% deposit (on a hatched chick)of the purchase price of the baby are NON-REFUNDABLE. The 1st invoice that will be sent to you is for a non-refundable deposit. The next invoice sent to you will be for the remaining 25% final due on weaned chick plus any shipping charges or DNA sexing charges, before your baby is ready to be shipped. Of course you can opt to meet us locally to pick up your new baby.

We will only refund deposits when we don't have a baby for you, For example, if an egg doesn't hatch or an accident or defect happens to a baby. This is rare. Otherwise, when you reserve a baby it is reserved for you until weaning & fledging, which can take weeks to months, and we have passed up several interested buyers by then.


Do you allow visitors?
No we don't allow visitors for security and disease reasons.

What is your guarantee?
We guarantee our birds against Avian Disease and Genetic Defects based upon the results of an Avian Veterinarian report within 72 hours of arrival. We are not responsible for veterinary charges.

Do you DNA test?
Yes, we do submit DNA samples for gender analysis, but not until after the sale. There is a $50 fee for this. We cannot DNA to determine/guarantee a certain gender when you reserve your baby - except of course with sexually dimorphic species such as Electus. There is no difference in pet quality when it comes to male or female parrots, except male Cockatiels and male Budgies tend to be better whistlers and talkers. People who think there is a difference are placing the differences that exist in pet mammals (dogs, cats, horses) onto birds.

Do you ship?
Yes, to the nearest major airport near you. Shipping includes a customized, reusable travel crate. We will also meet owners locally for pickup.

Do you fledge your babies?
Yes, absolutely, we do fledge our babies and we do not clip their wings. Exercise caution when you first take your baby out of its shipping crate to ensure you are in a small, safe, quiet place.

What food are the babies weaned to?
Our babies are weaned to a variety of chopped fresh fruits, vegetables, cooked bean/pea mix, parrot bread and a quality pellet and seed mix. Snacks can include coconut, sliced apples, carrots, just a few sunflower seeds for smaller species to whole nuts like almonds up to Brazil nuts and walnuts for the larger birds. 


No chocolate, junk food, processed foods, or packaged snack foods for your parrot.


What does it take to keep a parrot happy and healthy?
It's up to the humans. Parrots that are unhappy, scream a lot, pluck and mutilate themselves and are generally not a happy to own pet. It's their owner's fault. Either from lack of good care or too much stress or not enough stimulating out of cage time.


For example: An owner complains that her cockatoo is "neurotic". She can't understand it. She's had a full work-up at her vet and everything checks out. OK, but take responsibility! Firstly, did the parrot come from genetically good stock? This doesn't just apply to dogs, cats and horses. Next, she admitted working many hours - but for some reason did not link that to her parrot, an animal who is hardwired to find safety, stimulation and happiness in a group, was left alone for hours and hours each day!! Is her parrot's diet optimal? Does the cockatoo get a warm spritz bath at least a couple of times per week? Access to sunlight or full spectrum lighting? These parrots, who have the intelligence of a pre-kindergarten child, are also emotionally bonding creatures are the ones who are surrendered to rescues with all sorts of problems. And the humans made them this way. Not everyone should own a pet, and especially a parrot. A parrot requires more advanced attention and care than does a domesticated dog or cat. Parrots are not domesticated. They are domestically bred, but still retain much of their wild needs that the owner needs to fulfill or else they have no one to blame but themselves. 


Good, variety diet, as outlined above 




Spritz baths or shower time with their human.


Real sunlight or Full Spectrum Lighting


     
       Lots of daily out of cage time and in-your-face skritch, petting time and interaction with their human(s). Stimulating play with toys to not only chew and destroy, but also foraging games/toys.




Flying. Although most parrots climb a lot in the wild, flight is majorly important to their mental and physical well being. Also, invest in an appropriate parrot harness and take your parrot with you for a short walk, a sit outside in the yard or a little car ride.






      Training and manners. Parrots are great at figuring out what they want to do despite you asking otherwise. They are also good at undoing locks, eating and chewing things they shouldn't and becoming more demanding noisy animals than they are. There will always be some sort of naughtiness and noise, but some things are not up for debate with your parrot. Stepping up is one of them. If you want your parrot to step up, they need to step up. Be gentle, but firm in your demand. Asking nicely 20 times and then giving up, trains them that they don't have to step up. If you are afraid of getting a bite because maybe they are in a very excited state, use a dowel or long stick.

Also, be careful that you aren't rewarding excessive screaming or vocalizations. Either negatively, by yelling back or positively by going to them. Even entering the room to close the door is rewarding because they see you. You can however, cause them to do more talking, whistling, mimicing, by rewarding them when you hear it. One owner I knew, taught her Amazon to whisper. She rewarded the whisper and allowed the very loud vocalizations to extinquish by ignoring them. Keep in mind that extinquish behavior always gets stronger before it starts to diminish. It's always better to start off knowing that your parrot is going to naturally vocalize but be aware of what you are allowing from the beginning. ;-) The final word, make sure your parrot is getting enough stimulation mentally and physically each day.






Be aware of interactions with other pets in your home. Especially predators like dogs, cats, ferrets, etc.
They may seem loyal and docile to you, but they cannot be completely trusted around your parrot.




      Sleep. Parrots can be grumpy just like us without proper rest and time away from stimulation. A quiet room at night with a cage cover over their cage is ideal.




Allow no heating of teflon pans, high heat oven cleaning, artificial air freshners, scented candles or smoking around your parrot. Also be careful about new carpeting, tile and flooring as these emit toxic fumes.



Pure essential oils are OK, depending upon which ones can have health benefits. There are good and bad oils to use around your parrots.  I sell and use oils from DoTerra, in a cold water diffuser with only a few drops in a well ventilated room, for less than 30 min at a time with my parrots. And for a room freshening spray around parrots, I also use less than 20 total drops of safe oils mixed in a small, 4oz glass spray bottle with water and a little bit of vegetable glycerin as an emulsifier. My favorite oils for parrots are lavender, lemon, orange, copaiba and frankincense.

You can buy  a specific mix for your pets. Check out this website from veterinarian Dr. Shelton for lots of info on Essential Oil and their use around animals:  http://www.animaleo.info/birds.html 


Do you sell babies to wholesale accounts or breeding pairs?
Yes, we sell babies to knowledgeable retail businesses. You can mix/match qty on our different Conures and other species to meet the wholesale requirements. For smaller species, you will need to buy at least 4 babies and with the larger species, at least 2. Contact us for pricing and availability. If we sell out, we can try and source babies for you from breeder friends or reputable breeders, but they can be tough to find as the good ones go fast, so I haven't been very successful at it,

We can also make young pairs up with just about any species we breed...but you'll have to get your order in early in the spring so we can wean the babies out, surgically sex them etc. Otherwise the babies will be sold, as we don't regularly hold any babies back unless it's for our breeding program.


  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director
  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director

Links

​For Pacific Parrotlets check out Lucky Feathers www.luckyfeathers.com 

Super cute babies!

For Lots of Cool Parrot Products:
​ www.allparrotproducts.com